CBD For ADHD
Is It Really Effective?
Updated on February 2021
Karen finds it hard to pay attention to. She moves constantly and cannot control her actions. Karen has ADHD. ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affects millions worldwide. This neurodevelopment disorder affects almost 10% of young adults and children. It is a disorder that makes it difficult for an affected person to pay attention to small things and control impulsive behavior. One feels constantly active and restless. It is not a childhood disorder like most people assume, it continues to adulthood. It disrupts the quality of life and one finds doing mundane daily tasks difficult. Prescription medicines that are intended to treat the disorder may have unwarranted side effects. Medicines like Ritalin lead to a correction in the levels of dopamine but the side effects may be too much to cope with.
This leads to the search for alternatives to avoid these adverse side effects. CBD products present to be a safe and all-natural way that provides a better quality of life and a much-needed relief to those with ADHD. Since the speculation and inaccurate information around CBD are huge, we present the best details and answer all your questions.
What is CBD and does it get you high?
CBD is one of the unique 113 chemical compounds called cannabidiol which is used as a natural wellness solution. It has the capacity to treat multiple mainstreams as well as neurological disorders. It works to ease stress, cause relief, aid mood-boosting, create a better ecosystem, and does not bring psychedelic effects to those who consume it.
CBD is legal and does not cause a high. THC, a compound, found in cannabis is often responsible for causing a “high”. This is not present in the CBD version of cannabidiol.
Will CBD help with ADHD?
- CBD is touted to have multiple components that relieve the underlying and even mainstream symptoms of ADHD. It, reportedly, makes dealing with ADHD much easier.
- It helps your brain level out and runs more smoothly.
- It increases focus and makes one more stable
- It reduces anxiety and depression
- It is not addictive, so one can use it as per convenience
Is there any Scientific Evidence?
One cannot guarantee large-scale clinical trials but a majority of evidence points to the efficacy of CBD for ADHD. Some relevant scientific evidence is:
- The Heidelberg University of Germany in 2008 noticed the positive result of CBD on ADHD in a 28-year-old. It was found to regulate activity to a level considered optimum for positive performance and mental state.
- A 2012 study published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology noted that CBD normalizes social investigative behavior and inhibits hyperactivity. It was a lab-tested study that proved how CBD was effective in treating ADHD.
- In an elaborate 2016 study, ADHD patients up to 43% believed that CBD has had therapeutic impacts on them. While only 8% mentioned it to be harmful, the huge margin showed its capacity to be used.
- In 2017, Sativex which is an FDA-approved cannabis medication, and its effects were studied in detail. They found improvements in hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. This is evidence proving how CBD actually helps with ADHD.
How does CBD work for ADHD?
Those with ADHD have a hard time dealing with it and staying focused or having concentration. CBD works to decrease the negative symptoms associated with it.
- CBD works by reacting with the endocannabinoid system of the body. It eases out stress and relieves the body.
- CBD aids neurogenesis which increases focus and ability to concentrate
- It reduces the depressive nature by boosting moods and serotonin
- CBD stimulates activity in the brain which reduces hyperactivity and improves focus.
Is it safe for Kids?
This is a common question most parents will face. Is using CBD safe for kids? It is but normal to have such premonitions since the use of CBD is not that rampant in real life. We, however, want to make it clear that this is not medical information and should be taken with regard to the present situation. As per the WHO, CBD falls in the good safety profile for kids. Renowned institutes have also mentioned that it does no harm to kids. So, CBD for kids is permitted, but it is imperative to make sure it is taken in the right quantities and not an overdose.
Does CBD for ADHD have any side effects?
When compared duly with other ADHD medications, the side effects of CBD feel minuscule. One does not get addicted to it. Some side effects you may face include:
- Dry mouth
- Stomach problems
It is, however, better to talk to your doctor if you are planning to try CBD for ADHD.
What is the Best way to use CBD for ADHD?
The best way to use CBD for ADHD is by using CBD oil. You have to use a dropper and place a few drops on the tongue without swallowing. One can feel the effects quite easily. One should not use too much as it can result in an overdose.
ADHD is a complex disorder that requires proper consultation from a physician. Some may benefit from prescription medicines but the side effects may thwart it. CBD has proved how effective it is in reducing the symptoms of ADHD and the associated pain. It has a long way to go as more research is needed. The effects on patients, however, make it difficult to be ignored.